Safety Smart® is a global initiative aimed at improving the awareness and understanding of safety in children ages 4-14, by teaching them to manage themselves and their surroundings as safely as possible - by conscious action, not change. For over a century, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) has been testing products and writing safety standards with the goal of creating safe living and working environments. With Safety Smart®, UL is able to cultivate safety awareness in students, providing opportunities for them to learn and practice safe behaviors through a number of activities and programs including:
- In-school visits from UL Safety Ambassadors (where children learn from professional safety experts)
- Field trips to their laboratories (where students see safety engineers at work and participate in their own hands-on safety experiments)
- Safety Smart® Super Challenge competitions at schools and community events across the U.S. (where families test their safety knowledge in a game-show setting)
- Test the Limits Lab in Epcot® at Walt Disney World, Florida (where guests can “torture” products like a UL engineer to see if they operate safely)
- Disney’s Wild About Safety® Initiative (where UL is a founding partner with Disney in its safety education campaign featuring Disney characters Timon and Pumbaa from The Lion King educate guests about resort safety)
- On-line interactive Safety Quizzes for kids on www.UL.com
- Distribution of safety awareness bracelets, empowering children to be Safety Smart®
With Safety Smart®, Underwriters Laboratories is helping students learn to make more informed safety choices today and for the future.
Do your part! Be Safety Smart®!